I've been making small changes around the house, with the nesting hormone(?) in full swing. Before Roswelle was born, we did a slew of home improvements - new tile, new light fixtures, and painted every room in our house. But this time around, I've kept things a little more simple, and budget friendly, with more facelifts than overhauls. The two most notable changes are detailed below: my dresser and our bedroom blinds.
Next up is our half bath, which Paul recently painted BLUSH! :) (I finally have a pink room in the house! HA!) I'm still in the process of styling it, a good distraction this month, and will share all about it when it is finished.
My style has been making a shift to more of a modern/bohemiam look. I'm into all things with straight lines & wood details. I found the dresser on Wayfair and took the risk with of ordering it without seeing it in person (or measuring to make sure it would fit!). On Mother's day weekend, Paul put it together for me without one complaint - it came in more pieces than an Ikea item, believe it or not. I'm so happy with the size/scale/look of it! I had Paul go up into our attic and find some art - the Alaska flower poster was a gift to his Grandmother from his Grandfather, and the two other pieces were inherited from Paul's parents during their recent move/clean-out of their basement. I found some books around the house for balance to my favorite blush pitcher - a great, free styling trick. The basket and heart frame were yard sale finds, and the turtle and pink bowl were gifts. All in all - this update cost me $217 + the cost of bi-weekly hydrangeas (priceless).
btw - the before picture makes me frown. :( so glad I took the time to change it up before baby arrives!
The one panel shade we had in our room since I moved in (iphone pic below) has finally been updated. It was one of the first purchases Paul made when he moved into this townhouse 13 years ago! It worked, but not well, letting TONS of light in. This didn't bother me, I love waking up naturally with sunlight, but it really frustrated Paul. So when the old blind finally broke last month, we made the switch to three black-out roman shades.
These can run really expensive but I managed to find some affordable ones on Amazon and took the risk, planning to return if they didn't really work well. However, I'm happy to report we are really happy with them!
I kept the width a little short, I actually wanted some space between them. They were easy to install and easy to use, as long as you make sure to use the center handle (pictured below). They let in just enough light for me in the mornings (not much, but enough) and keep our room dark through the night - which can be difficult with city living and street lights. I included a picture of them down during a bright morning (the spots in the blinds is shade/light from the large tree behind our home, not spots in the blinds).