Happy Friday!! We made it.
I'm officially in denial that it is still winter in Boston, and in fact snowing this morning with a nor'easter on the way next week. However, my skin is fully aware it's been a while since a healthy dose of hot, humid weather. My hair and skin is needing all the love lately and I have found some products to last me until the warmer days.
My skin is super sensitive when pregnant, even basic organic coconut oil makes me break out in a rash. And my hair texture gets rather dry and brittle while a baby is in my belly. But I have found some safe solutions that keep my hair strong and skin supple. Links are provided in the descriptions below!
1. Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Eye Cream: Over the past couple of years, I've start noticing the lines around my eyes which don't go away after I stop smiling. Through my 20's I would apply eye cream when I received it in a sample package but it has never been a consistent step in my skin-care routine. That's no longer the case in my 30s!
2. Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Cream: I have been a long-time lover of Origins skin creams and still am, but I recently tried Fresh and notices a glow to my skin the very next morning. The fresh scent, soft glow, and smooth finish keeps me coming back for more.
3. Olaplex Hair Perfector No.3 Repair Treatment: aka miracle hair serum. Nothing keeps my hair healthier than Olaplex oil treatments. My hometown salon in GA (J.Thomas Salon) uses this product on my hair every time I come in for a highlight and the last time I was there my stylist, Ashley J, suggested I add the weekly at-home product to my hair care routine. Using it once a week before I wash/condition, my hair is stronger, smoother, and holds style for days.
4. JĀSÖN extra strength Vitamin E oil: More commonly used to minimize the appearance of scares and stretch marks already present, I actually use this to keep them at bay. My skin tolerates very few products/oils while it is stretching to make room for baby, but vitamin E oil has yet to cause a breakout. Many vitamin E oils out there are mostly soybean oil - of which I'm not a fan because of so many pesticides on the bean - so make sure to pay attention to the ingredients of the oils you are putting on your skin.
5. 100% Raw Shea Butter: Free of common additives such as parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and most important to me, fragrance. Fragrance is a pet peeve of mine in skin products...there really is no regulation to what makes up the scent and it tends to irritate my skin or lead to headaches. This basic shea butter is certified organic and fair trade and makes my skin super supple. I apply each night and the best part, it doesn't stain my clothes/sheets the way coconut oil does. The rough texture of the butter takes some time to work into my skin, but I think the extra effort pays off.
6. Trader Joe's Lavender Salt Scrub: while Olaplex is my secret weapon for hair, this is my secret weapon for healthy skin, aside from drinking tons of water. I use this scrub near the end of every shower, rubbing in until the salt dissolves and only oil is left on my skin. Exfoliating and moisturizing...it's the perfect combo. And it's fragrance free aside from oils! :)
7. Sara Happ Lip Slip: This is the best solution for dry, chapped lips. End of story. And it has a great glossy finish to boot.